Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Where Soul Meets Body

Desires contend within each of us, I think, for our bodily experience and thinking to connect with our deeper subconscious minds. We remain a mystery to ourselves, and surely the human urge is to unravel the enigma that we are to ourselves.

Where that desire is rich indeed we may be especially spiritual, considering we’re all spiritual beings. The desire we describe is a yearning for an authentic oneness of being; where we might feel what it’s like to be new.

The Thought Of Being In Unity With Ourselves

Surely being in unity with ourselves, spiritually, having that authentic oneness of knowledge of our personage, is a journey—definitely one without a destination short of bodily death.

I’m not sure I know myself much better now compared with five years ago, though, strangely, I know that to be a lie. Both portions of this statement hold partially truthful. That, of itself, is enough evidence to indicate a level of intrapersonal hiddenness within parts of myself. Because I’d be so unsure of my spiritual interconnectedness, in a felt sort of way, I remain, largely, a mystery to myself. I hope it’s not just me that feels this way. I know it’s not just me.

Where soul meets body is a desire made fruitful in the eschatological context, which is an end-time place. It dreams of completion; in marriage imagery it’s a circular band with no beginning and no end.

This is assuredly a spiritual wish; that all of what is incomplete about life would be vanquished in the perfection that, at least, the mind can imagine and wants brought to reality.

Another Thought – The End Of Pain

What if such a concept, the soul meeting its body and the body meeting its soul, was about completion from another perspective—the end of pain?

The end of pain is an existential impossibility, yet the paradox is we can imagine how marvellous it would be not to have to deal with loss and grief and the tormented emotional pain that characterises this feeling life.

For instance, parents always want to die before their children do. In empathy for their own parents they accede to their wish that they go first. There’s a generational order that we find bearable regarding death. If that order comes unstuck, somehow, and the young ones die first, we find that incredibly hard to cope with.

***

It’s an inherent wish pulsing through humanity that we might, someday, come to be authentic with ourselves; that in knowing our lives we would also come to know our inner, subconscious selves as well somehow. That’s a spiritual journey without destination along the road of truth.

© 2012 S. J. Wickham.

Acknowledgement: to Death Cab for Cutie’s song, Soul Meets Body (Gibbard).

No comments:

Post a Comment