Monday, March 11, 2019

Focus on what you have, not on what you don’t have

As someone poor in spirit, who cannot survive without God’s leading and provision, like yourself I am sure, through many dangers, toils and snares I have already come.
So many times, I have regretted my past, or felt bitter about how certain things have worked out. Yet many other times, I have experienced the freedom of knowing all is as it should be. Things ended well. And it is an utter paradox that some of the hardest things were easy, while some of the easier things, as I look at them even now, have been the hardest.
As I reflect theologically, I know that God places before each of us a Tower of Babel kind of life that we cannot work out; that thwarts pride and prevent us from becoming conceited. If such a theology worked in Paul’s life, see 2 Corinthians 12, surely it can validly work in our life as well. To our chagrin.
At a recent crossroad, as I prayed earnestly to God,
sensing I was making too much out of a small thing,
even though small things are inevitably big things,
I sensed God shake me awake.
It wasn’t even eight in the morning. I was already awake. But I needed to be woken up. I needed to be shaken out of my emotional slumber. I needed to wrest back my mind.
And it was as simple as a few words:
focus on what you have
and not on what you don’t have
I don’t normally focus on what I don’t have, but occasionally I have lapsed into wondering ‘what if’?
We have been so blessed over the past 12 months or so. Welcomed into a new community, a new home, new relationships, deeply enjoyable family times, vibrant church experience, polarising conflicts that have been resolved, fantastic work experiences, a challenging new professional role to look forward to, and a life that is on the up and up.
Yet there are those I know and am close to, those who I have supported, who have had similar experiences to that which we have had, as if some of the experiences we have had — involving great pain and grief — have an ongoing purpose. As I travel back with these people I inevitably travel back into my experience, and it can occasionally prove hazardous.
Yet, this is what we are called to do, is it not? It feels as if nobody really tells you how much ministry will cost, yet truth be told the Bible is littered with words of warning.
Sometimes we just don’t want to hear. Fifteen years ago, I would have blocked my ears.
~
The big things are small things, even if they are big things. The past is less important than the future is. What we hold in the present is the key to tomorrow. Into all our hands has been placed a great deal. More than any of us can really contemplate. So, we need to be satisfied and content with our lot.
Not that the past is irrelevant, but to know that the past is done is helpful. It cannot be done over.
As we stretch out into the future, using all the wisdom of our plenteous life experience, being aware of our baggage, we lay hold of the hope with which we possess.
We look to a brand-new day, and use what is in our hands without thinking about what isn’t.

Image by Milan Popovic on Unsplash

No comments:

Post a Comment