Thursday, October 26, 2023

Courage in the Experience of Struggle

One of the most inspiring things I experience is spending time with those in deep struggle.  It is inspiring because in deep struggle people exemplify immense courage.


Having experienced my share of struggle (mainly, to this point, 20 to 2 years ago) I have observed within my own experience what it TAKES to live certain phases of life. 


Struggles define us our courageous. 


To struggle is the essence of courage, 

because there is no escape, no option, 

but to struggle yet keep stepping. 


Whether we prosper in our struggle or we are confounded by it matters little about the inherent courage we display.  Yet it’s cruel to think that in our deepest struggle we are often the last person to see how courageous we’re being. 


The very purpose of this article 

is to encourage the discouraged.  

The very presence of discouragement 

is evidence enough of your courage. 


As I search back in the distant past to the times I’ve struggled most, I always thank that younger version of myself for sticking at it and not giving up.  Even when I did give up for a day or two or longer, I didn’t give up in the ultimate sense. 


The same holds for you.  You have endured many hardships with great courage.  Look back and discover how courageous you were.  Or if you are younger and struggle is new to you, imagine the courage you’re showing now and imagine how thankful you will be in future times when life is not so bleak. 


When we can see what we’ve been through, and can appreciate the courage we’ve displayed, we attain a deeper appreciation for our depth of character. 


Especially in your struggle you are an inspiration. 

No comments:

Post a Comment