Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Questions I’ve Found Useful in Unravelling Anxiety

Managing anxiety is a complex topic, and simplistic answers don’t cut it. By asking questions, like those of the following, may give some insight, and could prove a worthy investment of time. I’ve found them of benefit, personally.
1.      Using concrete terms, what does my fear feel like at present?
Naming the sources and components and manifestations of fear is mastery of anxiety. It leads us on a journey for the truth, and such a search can unearth gold.
2.     How is this anxiety actually affecting me? Is it in my mind or is it affecting my body? Or both.
Become mindfully aware of the type of changes anxiety induces means we begin to measure the personal cost. List the differing indicators.
3.     When is this worse? Early in the morning upon waking, during the day, or evening?
Having noticed the patterns in how anxiety hits and shapes mood helps us strategise around how to mitigate vulnerable parts of the day.
4.     What or whom is giving me the perception that I’m being pursued?
Knowing what or whom is making us feel fearful is an important awareness. It could be one or a bunch of things. We only learn if we make a study of these things. Write them down.
5.     Where is the anxiety pointing me? Do I feel I’m sliding deeper or coming out?
Discovering the trajectory of our anxiety helps us track our progress, as well as know when to call for help. There’s no shame in asking for help, and indeed that’s wisdom.
6.     What can I do today to get out of my mind by focusing on something else?
Even if we can only get out of our minds and distracted onto life for a few moments several times a day, we’ve achieved something.
7.     Where is the role for hope in the strategy for living today?
Hope is such an important thing, and when anxiety comes into full effect, hope can seem vanquished. But hope can be resurrected through planning and doing things we’re looking forward to. We have sound hope when have three or four things per week that we’re looking forward to.
These are only a sample set of questions on a topic that could yield a thousand.
Learning about our anxiety cannot make it worse, but it can make coping with it better.
Add your question in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment