Thursday, September 10, 2015

Are You Okay?

OFTEN I wonder whether or not spiritual tests of doubting and discouragement are put there by the enemy, and allowed by God, to cajole us into pressing back in. Tests of soul and spirit are there to convince us to press in on God again. God is not sadistic, but he does know what’s best for us in this world: “You will have many troubles in this world,” says Jesus, “But fear not, for I have overcome the world for you.” (John 16:33) By implication, if we trust God we will be protected by God.
My faith tells me to press in on the safe source that God is. Have I ever had thoughts of suicide? Yes. Have I ever had suicidal ideations? Yes, again. Have I ever attempted it? Almost. Thankfully, after every time of thought and temptation I was reminded that I couldn’t do the deed. But I do know what it’s like when life is so unbearably hard, meaningless and terrible, day after day after day.
This article, as the title suggests, is merely asking “are you okay?” People care for you, and so, integrally, does God. If you are not okay, will you let me know? Or would you let someone who cares for you know? Please?
***
How are you doing,
This auspicious and terrible day?
Are you worried or depressed,
By how much you weigh?
Or is it more a fact,
You fear for being gay?
Is it a relationship,
That has now gone astray?
Or a lack of purpose,
That turns your world grey?
Whatever your problems,
Jesus is here to say,
“God loves you for who you are,
Whether you change or stay,”
So here again says Jesus,
“Really, sincerely, are you okay?”
We need to change nothing by being made by another’s pressure or even our own. God’s grace has made forgiveness a reality, not because of what we do to deserve it, but by what Jesus did. We owe God nothing, but our allegiance, and we ought to know that our allegiance to God is good for us. Jesus understands our depressions, our anxieties, our griefs, our persecutions, and our torments. He seeks out the vulnerable to offer peace and rest. So take him up on his offer. Life will get better.
Jesus says, “Come to me, you who are weary and burdened. My demeanour is kindness and my way is recovery. I will show you how to be still. You will learn never to be so hard on yourself again. I want to equip you with a spring in your step. And I will. You will see. Just believe.” (Matthew 11:28-30)

© 2015 Steve Wickham.

No comments:

Post a Comment