Monday, October 25, 2021

Being at peace with the past and having peace in the present


Of recent days, God has broken through and spoken powerfully, and it means change is coming.  The first of these is I’ll deactivate from Facebook.  The second is I’m embarking on a writing project.  Both of these combined are interconnected.

The theme is as follows:

“Life is in letting go of what’s not ours and embracing what is.”

Life, real life, is in the letting go and it’s also in the embracing.  Simple as that really.  The hard part is making those two aspects stick.  If you’ve ever struggled with either or both, you’ll know what I’m talking about.  They’re probably the hardest things to do in life.

Letting go is hard, yet so is embracing.

What I mean is letting go of those things that have happened to us—our hurts, habits, and hang-ups—can seem a journey we wrestle with for years.  Forgiveness and recovery can seem so elusive.  Embracing is also hard a lot of the time, especially when those things involve situations in our lives that we’re reluctant to be enthusiastic about.

Think of the situation where you’re wondering, “How on earth did I get here?” or perhaps it’s, “How did it get to this?” or maybe it could be, “How do I get over or through this?”

I’ve had a few situations in my life when I’ve genuinely asked those questions.  You can probably relate.

Letting go by itself is hard, and so is embracing that which you don’t want to take hold of, but it’s especially hard when we find ourselves in a situation where we can’t let go of the past and we also can’t embrace the present.  Life can seem so unfair.

But imagine being in that situation where you reach such a crisis that you just know you need to change; you need to embrace the present you hate and let go of that past that continues to consume you.

And suddenly, the miracle occurs—you’re at one with the will of God for your life.  You get a sniff: being at peace with the past and having peace in the present.  That sniff is enough to follow the scent, that aroma of the abundant life in acceptance.

You might remember a time in your life when you never thought you’d face such challenges.  But you find you’ve descended into a place where both past and present seem to thwart you.  These experiences grace our lives for a very important reason.  These challenges deepen us, they push us, they mature us.

~

For those who follow what I write, as I said above, I’m deactivating my personal social media accounts soon, though my Facebook ‘pages’ will remain with a separate administrator (my wife).  I want to focus on a writing project and on more immediate areas in my life.

The key area in my life is living out of the experience of what I’ve written here and writing about it in a form that might be a comprehensive blessing for those who would read it.

To do justice to such a project, I need time to research, to write it, to hear from God, to write the divine will, to do a good job.

14 years and 15 days I’ve been blogging, initially on the single platform, and since 2010 it’s been three of my own, apart from ezinearticles.com and other platforms I’ve written for like Godspace and Kingdom Winds.  Nearly 9,500 articles and approximately 20,000 hours (and only two books) later, it’s nearly time to focus on what always had to come.  Something deeper.

It could go without saying that I’d value your prayers.  I would.

No comments:

Post a Comment