Sunday, March 8, 2020

Because of Her, we can!

Way back in 2018 the NAIDOC theme was “Because of her, we can!”  It celebrated “the essential role that women have played – and continue to play – as active and significant role models at community, local, state, national levels.”  
I thank God for women, but I have not always and unequivocally respected women the way I should have.  It is a key regret I have in my life.  But I’m thankful for the lessons that women have taught me and continue to teach me.
For me, the concept of “because of her, we can!”  heralds the role of women as teacher, and not just to children and youth in a motherly context.  Women are natural teachers because they’re natural nurturers.
Teachers are leaders.  Women are leaders.  Our society – any society – operates better when it has women at the forefront of every corner of policy and development.  This is not to say that men are not also leaders, for of course they are; but when we only have men leaders, society suffers greatly.
Men as leaders on their own do not and cannot represent the best interests of our overall humanity at any level.  Men need help.  But women are not only “helpers,” because without what women offer, many societal objectives would fail.  Women on their own contribute what is essential for life and growth.
Because of her, we can!  focused on the central role of mothers, but what women do for any society transcends even motherhood.
Women have an enduring strength that sees and supports the vision for community.  They are other-centred in ways that I honestly think men aren’t.  They lead by supporting those who are weak, many of whom have been or are boys and men.  They offer a voice of wisdom from the ages.  They see the bigger picture.  And they are not afraid of getting their hands dirty.
I thank God for women – those in my life – and those who are not – on this International Women’s Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment