Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Get out of your mind – a song, a prayer

The last time God gave me a song — literally a whole verse — was 2015. Until this morning. I’ve been battling my mind of late. Nothing too much of a concern; just haven’t had the free flow to peace, hope and joy I normally do. Here’s the song:
Get outa your mind,
Leave the world behind,
Chase the One,
You wanna become.
That’s it!
I’m going to attempt, in my flesh with the Spirit’s help, to create some verses, given that as I read it, it sounds more like a chorus:
Oh, there’s that feeling in me again,
How do I start all over, and when?
Ever chasing that broken dream,
God, what does all this mean?
It’s that very same lane,
I’ve been driving down,
Waking with the same pain,
With this constant soul frown.
And God said…
Get outa your mind,
Leave the world behind,
Chase the One,
You wanna become.
What do I make of my dream?
What can it really mean?
Where is this taking me?
Who am I going to be?
So I sit here in this place,
Doing my best to seek your face,
Inclined to know you [God] once more,
Show me how to open the door.
And God said…
Get outa your mind,
Leave the world behind,
Chase the One,
You wanna become.
~~~
I’m no song writer. But in writing it down, maybe there’s something to ponder?
Here is what the chorus means to me:
GET OUTA YOUR MIND
This is the clarion call to leave the prison of the mind and to open our hearts to new possibilities. In direct view, as we steer out of the miry clay, is the Kingdom of Christ.
LEAVE THE WORLD BEHIND
This is no escape clause; no excuse for checking out in a variety of ways one might choose. This is the direct opposite; to stop looking, envying, comparing, contrasting, judging and condemning. It’s to leave all that behind and look larger toward those things that are above (Colossians 3:1-4; Philippians 4:8-9).
CHASE THE ONE
With all the tenacity life will allow, within the constructs and boundaries of this relational life, where we cannot worship God without loving others. Life is a chase, a hot pursuit for goodness, or it is nothing.
YOU WANNA BECOME
Jesus. Every follower of Jesus wants to become like him.
~~~
Here’s the hope I draw from honest laments. For whatever reason we’re challenged, God is close to the broken-of-heart. The closer God is, the more we seek our Lord, the closer to peace we are.
God calls to each our hearts: keep searching and never give up.
For you who are weak this day, hear God say, “I who AM ultimate strength will be weak with you.”

Photo by JR Korpa on Unsplash

No comments:

Post a Comment